Yesterday, I had the sudden urge to make an ice cream cake. Even though I’ve never made this before, I was excited! I checked our cupboards to see what I could make based on what Eric liked. This recipe is something that just came to me in the middle of the day while working on something else. I’m sharing it here with you in hopes of encouraging you to make an easy and delish ice cream cake 🙂
- 1 + 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (pie crust/base)
- 5-6 tbsp. melted butter
- 6+ cups of vanilla ice cream (mix to soften)
- sweetened coconut flakes
- finely ground almonds
- candy sprinkles (topping)
- Springform pan
- parchment paper
- cling film a.k.a. plastic wrap
- Add butter to the graham cracker crumbs. Mix well.
- Line the bottom of the springform pan with parchment paper.
- Press the graham crumbs tightly to the base of the springform pan. You can use your fingers or a spatula!
- Add the ground almonds and coconut flakes to the vanilla ice cream. Constantly mixing the ice cream softens it, giving you a soft-serve ice cream consistency. The amount of almonds and coconut flakes are completely up to you! I love coconut but Eric only likes a bit (and this cake is for him) so my recipe had a 5:1 ratio of almonds to coconut.
- Press the ice cream mixture into the springform pan (atop the graham crust). Use a spatula this time so you don’t freeze your fingers off!
- For the topping, add as many sprinkles as you want!
- Cover the pan with cling film and freeze it for 4-5 hours.
- Remove the cake from the pan and slice it.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Note: Keep the cake frozen (it is ice cream, after all) for storage purposes!